Saturday, February 1, 2014

Let's Play: Guild Wars 2

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
guild wars 2 review

Hello, World!

Every so often, words happen. And when words happen, people die.

Hopefully that won't happen here.



I'm going to start off this daisy chain talking about something I hold very close to my heart: Guild Wars 2.


While I didn't play Guild Wars 1, I've been playing Guild Wars 2 since Beta, which was August 2012. Even though my account has existed since then, I didn't play for most of that winter, until March 2013. The level cap is 80 and my highest character was level 28 (my Mesmer, Loki of Asgard).

I tried to do a "Let's Play" for YouTube, but my comedic talents falter when I'm faced with all the downtime of running from place to place. I am, of course, naturally hilarious in all other circumstances.

General Information:

Guild Wars 2 is an MMORPG for the PC that has the player create a highly customizable character, selected from five different races, and then play through a Personal Story that is specific to choices the player makes while making their character. The Personal Story instances, and other instances in the game, involve the player's character interacting with NPCs vocally. All of the NPCs are voice-acted, and so is the player's character.

Pros:

The ONLY reason I initially agreed to even touch Guild Wars 2 was because it's not subscription-based. You pay the one-time cost of buying the game, digital or physical copy, and that's it. There's in-game purchases the user can make, but they aren't essential to actually playing the game.

The graphics are awesome. The music is awesome. And the Living Story events OMG!

I'm really into the Skyrim-like realness of the environment, characters, and interactions. I usually play on the "best appearance" settings because anything less is a shame. On that setting, the landscapes in the distance look painted. It's gorgeous. Myself, and other people I've known, have taken time to just sit and enjoy the ambience of certain areas of particular beauty.

The Living Story events are updated every two weeks, which consists of a list of new achievements the player can attain based on a storyline the game introduces. Sometimes these stories are self-contained or holiday-related, but since they introduced the two-week cycle, there has been an overarching plot revolving around the villain, Scarlet.

Something I've been highly involved in is World vs. World, where every week three servers are pitted against each other (based on previous performances of that server and other number things I don't get into) and fight for the most points. It's a giant game of give-and-take, really. There are keeps, towers, and camps that all have capture points for a server to claim... until another server claims it. Then the first server has to take it back. It goes back and forth, back and forth.

However, WvW offers an opportunity to work as teams, which is something PvE really doesn't have a place for (and some of us are just really, really terrible at PvP). If a player gets into a good group, there is a lot of
guild wars 2 review
chances for some really great loot. The tactical strategies needed to accomplish tasks with the most effectiveness take some learning, and not all commanders are privy to that information (and others simply don't care enough to not be terrible).

That's a whole different article, but WvW is definitely something I'd list under "Pro's" despite any downfalls it may have.

Cons:

No in-game VOIP is one of the only things I can think of. This has actually caused a lot of drama on my server, which is currently divided between Mumble and Teamspeak, with most guilds just using whatever they want to use. Which completely degrades our ability to cooperate with each other in WvW.

There are other things that seem "broken" about the game, but they're really just minor things people like to complain about. Then again, I'm easy to please. I'm not paying a monthly subscription for this really awesome game, I can look past getting stuck in flame rams sometimes.

Endgame:

I highly recommend Guild Wars 2. I've been super involved in my guild and have made a bunch of friends through it. I have a lot of fun playing in PvE, WvW, and doing the Living Stories.

I just wanted this to be a quick review of the game. Definitely 3/3 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment