Monday, February 3, 2014

Steampunk: What it Means to Me


Some of the people reading this might be familiar with my Steampunk themed wedding. It was quite the event, and you can read the blog here.

The Steampunk community and culture has been apart of my life since at least 2009. At least knowingly, since it's been the experience of many a Steampunker that they were involved in the culture before they knew there was a culture.



There's a lot that goes into "being Steampunk". Some people simply consider it a hobby, while for others it's a way of life. However, the beautiful thing about this community is that no one is shunned. It's an extremely accepting group of people, even for someone as socially awkward as I am.

I've had the blessing of living in a city that has a large Steampunk community. We even have our own convention, the Steampunk Symposium, and bi-monthly gatherings that host (on average) 25-40 people (sometimes more). I've been the videographer of the Symposium since it started (2014 will be it's third year), though last year's video wasn't as grand as I wanted it to be (excuses galore go here). I hope this year I put together something really great that they'll be able to use for promotional purposes.

However, before that, my husband and I will be going to Tuscon, Arizona for the Wild Wild West Steampunk Convention in Old Tuscon. We're really, really excited. Though flying across the country is always a daunting task. There is a family, who is friends with our family, that live out there and suggested we come out to see Steam Powered Giraffe preform.

For me, and I believe my husband, Steampunk is a good portion of our lifestyle. However, it's a natural thing since we were already attracted to the aesthetics, behavior, and fashion. While I don't sport a corset and bustle everyday, nor he a top hat and fob watch, we have incorporated it into our design choices, art, and choose to spend as much time with the community as we can spare.

There are certainly criticisms of the Steampunk community. Where there is a large group of people, there will be drama llamas, but the experience I've had has been a blessing. Truly unique people coming together to do truly unique things. And that, despite my natural ability to ward people away with my bad jokes, I'm still accepted is like my own version of Cheers.

1 comment: